The folks at Brooks recently connected with runners across the country to find out what their sport means to them. How do your answers compare with those of the majority of runners?
- Could the running path lead to love? If you’re lucky! According to the survey, 76 percent of all runners (84 percent of males) believe that people look sexy when they’re running and three-quarters agree that they’d be more attracted to someone if they found out he or she was a runner. Turning thoughts into action, half of all surveyed (51 percent) have used running as their pick-up line.
- Have you ever hit the pavement in search of inspiration? You’re not alone. The survey found 83 percent of respondents agree they come up with their best ideas while running. So, the next time you get stuck, lace up those shoes and hit the road. More than half of respondents (56 percent) run to clear out the cobwebs and hit refresh.
- Need an escape? Getting out of the house ranks high as a motivator for 45 percent of female respondents, compared to 37 percent of males.
- Always connected? An overwhelming majority (78 percent) of respondents consider technology a running staple. That number rockets to 92 percent among the younger generation (18-24). Smartphones lead the pack as the must-have piece of running technology for 41 percent, with iPod second at (36 percent). Asked to pick a top tune to play on repeat for all 26.2 miles of their marathon, 59 percent chose the classic “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey.
- When? Early risers lead the bunch with 42 percent preferring to run before the sun rises. Scattered Sprinters – those who run whenever they have the time – follow with 29 percent, trailed by Lunchtime Lungers (16 percent) and Night Owls (12 percent).
- Where? Open trails and scenic views are calling. Forty two percent have, at least once, picked a vacation for its bevvy of running options.
- Who? Partnering up is preferable, with 59 percent saying a jog with a buddy makes it easier to stay on track.